Perhaps you’re considering receiving a BOTOX® injection but feel there’s too much you don’t know about the process and what to expect in terms of results. Although BOTOX is a minor cosmetic procedure, it’s always a good idea to research any treatment before following through with it. Below are six facts you may not have known about BOTOX to help you make the best possible decision for your cosmetic goals.
- BOTOX derives from botulinum toxin. This normally toxic substance undergoes a purification process before it becomes part of an injectable solution to treat issues such as deeply set wrinkles, laugh lines, crow’s feet, and numerous other signs of aging on the face. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved BOTOX for cosmetic purposes back in 2002. It is one of the safest cosmetic procedures you can receive today.
- The human face contains 43 distinct muscles. That means it’s especially important to work with an experienced BOTOX provider to ensure that you receive injections in the correct place. Your doctor injects BOTOX into the targeted muscles to achieve the desired results while leaving the others alone.
- A BOTOX procedure can take as little as 15 minutes. Once your doctor understands your treatment goals and knows which muscles to target, the procedure itself typically takes an average of 15 minutes. You can even schedule it on your lunch break. Downtime is also minimal, which means you can return to work the same day. Your provider will discuss what to do if you experience minor discomfort before you leave the appointment. This should not last for more than a day or two.
- The effects of BOTOX last approximately six months. BOTOX is a temporary procedure with results that can last anywhere from several weeks up to six months. You can always choose to get a new injection once you notice the original problem areas returning. Some issues may require more than one initial session before you see the results you desire.
- BOTOX is not just for wrinkles anymore. In addition to several cosmetic improvements you can achieve with BOTOX, the purified toxin can help with excessive sweating, overactive bladder, muscle spasticity, and returning eyes to their normal position for people with crossed eyes. If you have any of these medical conditions, speak to your provider about the possibility of receiving BOTOX injections in place of or in conjunction with your other treatments.
- Men receive BOTOX injections too. In the past 20 years, the percentage of men receiving BOTOX injections have increased by nearly 350 percent. The most common reason cited by men is that they are beginning to feel the effects of age discrimination in the workplace. BOTOX is most common among men in the business, fashion, and legal industries.
Should you have additional questions about Botox injections, we invite you to contact Westport MediSpa to discuss the procedure with a member of our knowledgeable staff. You can also request an appointment online or by calling 203-571-4973. We look forward to helping you meet your appearance goals and become the best possible version of yourself.
You Can Also Read : What Happens If You Put Garlic Under Your Pillow?